How to know when to draw

By Dave Gray

7:46 pm
Fri, Dec 28, 2012

My friend Marcia Conner, an admitted “word person” has been honing her visual thinking skills. She asked me “How can I recognize when I should be drawing an idea, versus communicating it some other way?” Watch my conversation (and sketching) with Marcia here.

As always, your comments, thoughts and feedback are much appreciated.

-------

Keep in touch! Sign up to get updates and occasional emails from Dave.

6 comments

1. Allan Engelhardt commented on December 31, 2012 | Permalink

Would love to watch but the video isn’t working for me. Any chance of a link to a video file or something similar and almost-guaranteed-to-work-for-everyone?

2. Dave Gray commented on December 31, 2012 | Permalink

Hi Allan,

What kind of browser are you using? Let me know and I can check with looplogic to see if there’s a fix.

Dave

3. Allan Engelhardt commented on January 2, 2013 | Permalink

@Dave: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:17.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/17.0

I disabled all the relevant plugins (AdBlock Plus, Ghostery, and HTTPS Everywhere) for the test, but still no joy.

4. Kim commented on January 2, 2013 | Permalink

What software tools did you use to create this video? Really helpful content, thank you!

5. Urs commented on January 7, 2013 | Permalink

Thanks Dave and Marcia to allow us to follow your discussion.
    And – one more time, Dave, great examples.
    Can you give me a hint on how (tools / devices) you did these digital drawings while in conversation with Marcia?
    Regards from Zurich, Switzerland.

6. Dave Gray commented on January 7, 2013 | Permalink

Autodesk Sketchbook Pro, Tablet PC, Camtasia for the recording.