How to know what to draw

It’s not just how to draw, but what to draw. In this video I share a simple three-by-three matrix that can help you determine what kind of drawing will best serve your business purpose.

By Dave Gray

3:54 pm
Mon, Dec 17, 2012

I have taught a lot of people how to draw their ideas. One of the questions that comes up over and over is “now that I can draw my ideas, how do I know what to draw to get my ideas across?” In other words, “I have a communication goal, how can I figure out the best way to draw that?”

Notes:

1. This video is the second in a series that begins with “Visual thinking basics.” View that video here.

2. In the video I mentioned a webinar by John Kotter which you can view here.

As always, your comments, thoughts and feedback are much appreciated.

-------

Keep in touch! Sign up to get updates and occasional emails from Dave.

6 comments

1. Martin commented on December 18, 2012 | Permalink

Hey Dave: this is a great and practical overview of different sketching types for management. It reminds me of our discussion together in St. Gallen on Pestalozzi’s leadership mantra: “A leader needs a cool head, a warm heart, and a firm hand.” Cheers, Martin

2. Dave Gray commented on December 23, 2012 | Permalink

Absolutely! Great to hear from you Martin!

3. Dante commented on December 27, 2012 | Permalink

Hi, Dave. What a fantastic tutorial! I followed a tweet and dropped everything to watch the video. Your matrix will help flourish my visual notetaking practice to the next level. Thanks for sharing and have a Happy New Year!

Best regards, =D.

4. David Forbes commented on December 30, 2012 | Permalink

What a terrific approach to getting started with a drawing. Thanks for sharing!

5. Mary commented on December 30, 2012 | Permalink

Hi Dave,

I thoroughly enjoyed this video. The ideas are simple and straight forward but very powerful in terms of getting one’s message across. Thank you so much for sharing. I’ll give them a try the next time I facilitate a meeting with our team.

Thanks again,

Mary

6. Magne commented on December 27, 2013 | Permalink

This is a fantastic video showing how to adequately communicate something visually. This diagram should be used in any class on rhetoric or communication!