Visual thinking basics

By Dave Gray

5:56 pm
Fri, Dec 7, 2012

In this video, I share some basics of visual thinking that should get you up in running in about 20 minutes. This video is a bit long, so I added a table of contents so you can quickly navigate to the points you are interested in. The table of contents is available by clicking the icon to the right of the volume control. Let me know about your sketching challenges and I will try to help you through them in future videos.

As always, your comments, thoughts and feedback are much appreciated.

-------

Keep in touch! Sign up to get updates and occasional emails from Dave.

10 comments

1. Will Franco commented on December 8, 2012 | Permalink

I found this video very helpful. So many people teach intermediate and advanced concepts… however, it is the building blocks that truly empower people.

BTW – What drawing program and equipment are you using?

Many thanks,
    Will Franco aka Flywheel

2. Lia commented on December 9, 2012 | Permalink

Very helpful video. I do a lot of training with engineers, who generally draw as good as they can write… not well at all. Following these basics steps would allow them more freedom to explore. Thank you for putting them down.

3. Dave Gray commented on December 9, 2012 | Permalink

Thanks Will! Glad you liked the video. To answer your question:

The hardware is a tablet PC, and the software I use for the sketching is Autodesk Sketchbook Pro. For the recording I use Techsmith Camtasia. For sharing the video I use LoopLogic.

The reason I teach this way is that I agree with you about building blocks. When you think about the way that we learn reading, writing and mathematics, we always start with the building blocks (learning the alphabet, counting to ten, etc.) and work up from there.

Since I have a goal to increase visual literacy in the world, my thought is to approach it in the same way. This is how I came up with the idea to teach a visual alphabet as a starting point.

4. Dave Gray commented on December 9, 2012 | Permalink

Hi Lia,

Thanks for your comment. That’s my goal: to help people express their ideas better by improving their visual literacy. I do a lot of training and workshops with engineers and IT people to help them improve their visual thinking and communication skills.

5. Will Franco commented on December 10, 2012 | Permalink

Thanks Dave.

6. Dan Thomas commented on December 14, 2012 | Permalink

Hi Dave-

My friend Dan Roam recommended your work and as usual, he made a great recommendation. This video was very helpful. Specifically, drawing people and creating scenes was very useful. Are there more videos like this on your site?

Thanks,

Dan

7. Dave Gray commented on December 14, 2012 | Permalink

Hi Dan, thanks for your kind note! Yes, Dan Roam is a great guy and good friend. There are more videos on this site, and you can view them here: http://www.davegrayinfo.com/category/videos/

8. Strategy Arch commented on February 10, 2013 | Permalink

Hi Dave,
    Thanks for the useful video. can you recommend a book or another detailed source to learn more.

9. Chris commented on February 19, 2013 | Permalink

Hello Dave,

First of all thank you for sharing this brilliant super simple way of drawing it will make my life much easier. Our teacher showed us this movie at the Art school I am studying Advertising. It’s a very simple way to sketch an idea. But I was wondering how would you sketch close-ups? Like a hand grabbing something for example.

I hope you can show me! I also downloaden your handwriting font by the way! Very nice!

Thanks!

Chris

10. @rabbil commented on August 27, 2013 | Permalink

Loved this! Thank you. Will pass along…I always tell people: “if you can draw a circle, triangle, or square, you can draw anything”…

3 Trackbacks

1. Week 6: It’s All Designed on February 18, 2013

[...] Gray’s videos on Visual Thinking Basics and How to Know What to [...]

2. […] Gray’s videos on Visual Thinking Basics and How to Know What to […]

3. […] don’t need to be an artist or expert at drawing to sketch out your ideas. Using tools like Dave Gray’s visual alphabet, anyone can easily and effectively communicate their thoughts to their colleagues. Sketches can […]